In the orthopedic field, implant-related infection is a serious complication that is often difficult to treat with intravenous antibiotics alone. Therefore, care is required when planning implant insertion, choosing a method that best avoids implant-related infection. One method proposed to reduce the incidence of implant-related infection is to use an implant whose surface has been treated with a biomaterial. We report a case in which an iodine-supported implant was used successfully to treat post-traumatic infection and an extensive bone defect that had resulted from an open comminuted knee fracture.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Infection of the surgical site after arthroplasty of the hip.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2005 Jun; 87: 844-850
- Prosthetic survival and clinical results with use of large-segment replacements in the treatment of highgrade bone sarcomas.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1995 Aug; 77: 1154-1165
- Factors in pin tract infections.Orthopedics. 1991 Mar; 14: 305-308
- Megaprostheses in the management of trauma of the knee.J Orthop. 2015 Dec 7; 13: 467-471
- Distal femur and proximal tibia replacement with megaprosthesis in revision knee arthroplasty: a limb-saving procedure.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2012 Dec; 20: 2513-2518
- Antimicrobial megaprostheses supported with iodine.J Biomater Appl. 2014 Oct; 29: 617-623
- Pin tract infections: silver vs uncoated pins.Orthopedics. 1994 May; 17: 445-448
- Silver coated materials for external fixation devices: in vitro biocompatibility and genotoxicity.Biomaterials. 2002 Feb; 23: 887-892
- Striated muscle microvascular response to silver implants: a comparative in vivo study with titanium and stainless steel.J Biomed Mater Res. 2000 Feb; 49: 192-199
- Prevention of pin track infection in external fixation with silver coated pins: clinical and microbiological results.J Biomed Mater Res. 2000 Sep; 53: 600-604
- Antibacterial iodine-supported titanium implants.Acta Biomater. 2011 Apr; 7: 1928-1933
- Surgical treatment for pyogenic vertebral osteomyelitis using iodine-supported spinal instruments: initial case series of 14 patients.Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2015 Feb; 34: 261-266
- Innovative antimicrobial coating of titanium implants with iodine.J Orthop Sci. 2012 Sep; 17: 595-604
- Iodine-supported hip implants: short term clinical results.Biomed Res Int. 2015 Oct 28; : 368124
Published online: August 11, 2020
Accepted: July 13, 2020
Received in revised form: May 12, 2020
Received: December 13, 2019
© 2020 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of The Japanese Orthopaedic Association.