Due to the development of minimally invasive lateral lumbar interbody fusion (LLIF) techniques and LLIF with anterior column realignment (ACR), it is possible to achieve satisfactory radiographic and clinical results in cases of adult spinal deformity (ASD) surgery, according to the literature [
- Hosseini P.
- Mundis Jr., G.M.
- Eastlack R.K.
- Bagheri R.
- Vargas E.
- Tran S.
- Akbarnia B.A.
Preliminary results of anterior lumbar interbody fusion, anterior column realignment for the treatment of sagittal malalignment.
Neurosurg Focus. 2017 Dec; 43: E6
]. However, ASD surgery using LLIF techniques poses the risk of serious complications, such as major vascular and visceral injuries [
- Saigal R.
- Mundis Jr., G.M.
- Eastlack R.
- Uribe J.S.
- Phillips F.M.
- Akbarnia B.A.
Anterior Column Realignment (ACR) in adult sagittal deformity correction: technique and review of the literature.
Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016 Apr; 41: S66-S73
- Assina R.
- Majmundar N.J.
- Herschman Y.
- Heary R.F.
First report of major vascular injury due to lateral transpsoas approach leading to fatality.
J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Nov; 21: 794-798
- Balsano M.
- Carlucci S.
- Ose M.
- Boriani L.
A case report of a rare complication of bowel perforation in extreme lateral interbody fusion.
Eur Spine J. 2015 Apr; 24: 405-408
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Preliminary results of anterior lumbar interbody fusion, anterior column realignment for the treatment of sagittal malalignment.Neurosurg Focus. 2017 Dec; 43: E6
- Anterior Column Realignment (ACR) in adult sagittal deformity correction: technique and review of the literature.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2016 Apr; 41: S66-S73
- First report of major vascular injury due to lateral transpsoas approach leading to fatality.J Neurosurg Spine. 2014 Nov; 21: 794-798
- A case report of a rare complication of bowel perforation in extreme lateral interbody fusion.Eur Spine J. 2015 Apr; 24: 405-408
- Acute celiac artery compression syndrome after surgical correction of Scheuermann kyphosis.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2009 Feb 15; 34: E149-E152
- Acute celiac artery compression syndrome after extensive correction of sagittal balance on an adult spinal deformity.Eur Spine J. 2017 May; 26: 31-35
- Celiac artery syndrome after correction of kyphoscoliosis.Spine Deform. 2019 Jan; 7: 176-179
- Temporary liver and stomach necrosis after lateral approach for interbody fusion and deformity correction of lumbar spine: report of two cases and review of the literature.Eur Spine J. 2016 May; 25: 257-266
- Hepatic ischemia as a complication after correction of post-traumatic gibbus at the thoracolumbar junction.Spine (Phila Pa 1976). 2000 Apr 15; 25: 1040-1044
- Prospective multicenter assessment of perioperative and minimum 2-year postoperative complication rates associated with adult spinal deformity surgery.J Neurosurg Spine. 2016 Jul; 25: 1-14
- Celiac axis stenosis due to median arcuate ligament compression in a patient who underwent pancreatoduodenectomy; intraoperative assessment of hepatic arterial flow using Doppler ultrasonography: a case report.J Med Case Rep. 2018 Apr 11; 12: 92
- Acute pancreatitis after spine surgery: a case report and review of literature.Eur J Orthop Surg Traumatol. 2014 Jul; 24: S305-S309
- Acute pancreatitis after major spine surgery: a case report and literature review.Scoliosis Spinal Disord. 2018; 13: 24
Published online: August 17, 2020
Accepted: July 8, 2020
Received in revised form: July 1, 2020
Received: June 8, 2020
© 2020 The Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.