The usefulness of sonicate fluid culture for biological tissues in orthopedic bone and soft tissue infections have not been reported. We assessed whether inoculating the sonicate fluid of bone and soft tissue into a blood culture bottle could increase the diagnostic accuracy for biofilm-related orthopedic infections.
Twenty consecutive patients with infections (9 purulent arthritis, 4 osteomyelitis, 4 purulent tenosynovitis, 2 purulent bursitis, and 1 cellulitis) and 10 non-infected cases (6 carpal tunnel syndrome, 3 Dupuytren contracture, and 1 soft tissue tumor) between October 2018 and December 2020 were evaluated prospectively. We analyzed a total of 107 culture submissions (87 bone and tissue specimens and 20 controls); 42 intraoperative tissue specimens (32 infected samples and 10 non-infected samples) using the conventional method, 45 sonication samples (35 infected samples and 10 non-infected samples), and 20 control samples. Intraoperative infectious tissues were cultured using sonicate fluid culture in a blood culture bottle (SFC-CB). The applications of SFC-CB and the conventional culture method and the detection rate, sensitivity, and relationship between the sensitivity of the diagnostic methods and duration of administered preoperative antibiotics were assessed.
The causative microorganism was detected only by SFC-CB in five patients (25%). The sensitivity (85% vs. 60%; P = 0.077) and detection rate (80% vs. 60%; P = 0.065) were higher for SFC-CB than for the conventional culture method. The sensitivity of SFC-CB was significantly higher than that of the conventional culture method in cases in which preoperative antibiotics were administered for more than 1 week (77% vs. 39%; P = 0.047).
Using SFC-CB, the diagnostic accuracy for bone and soft tissue infection was significantly improved. As biofilms are readily formed in biological tissues, sonication may also be useful for diagnosis. SFC-CB was particularly useful for cases in which preoperative antibiotics were administered.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hand infections: anatomy, types and spread of infection, imaging findings, and treatment options.Radiographics. 2014 Nov-Dec; 34: 1968-1986
- Staphylococcus aureus is the most common identified cause of cellulitis: a systematic review.Epidemiol Infect. 2010 Mar; 138: 313-317
- Accuracy of cultures of material from swabbing of the superficial aspect of the wound and needle biopsy in the preoperative assessment of osteomyelitis.J Bone Joint Surg. 1991 Jun; 73: 745-749
- Bacterial biofilms: a common cause of persistent infections.Science. 1999 May 21; 284: 1318-1322
- Sonication of removed hip and knee prostheses for diagnosis of infection.N Engl J Med. 2007 Aug 16; 357: 654-663
- Sonication of extracted implants improves microbial detection in patients with orthopedic implant-associated infections.J Arthroplasty. 2019 Jun; 34: 1189-1196
- Improved diagnosis of orthopedic implant-associated infection by inoculation of sonication fluid into blood culture bottles.J Clin Microbiol. 2015 May; 53: 1622-1627
- ESCMID study group for biofilms and consulting external expert Werner Zimmerli. ESCMID guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of biofilm infections 2014.Clin Microb Infect. 2015 May; 21: S1-S25
- Diagnosis and management of osteomyelitis.Am Fam Physician. 2011 Nov 1; 84: 1027-1033
- Infections of the hand.Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, PA1912
- Brief ultrasonication improves detection of biofilm-formative bacteria around a metal implant.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007 Apr; 457: 210-213
- Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically: approved standard.Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, Wayne, Pennsylvania, USA2012
- Improved diagnosis of infection associated with osteosynthesis by use of sonication of fracture fixation implants.J Clin Microbiol. 2014 Dec; 52: 4176-4182
- Diagnosis of triple-lumen catheter infection: comparison of roll plate, sonication, and flushing methodologies.J Clin Microbiol. 1997 Mar; 35: 641-646
- Bacterial colonization and infection of electrophysiological cardiac devises detected with sonication and swab culture.Circulation. 2010 Apr 20; 121: 1691-1697
- Sonication of removed breast implants for improved detection of subclinical infection.Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2009 May; 33: 404-408
- Proceedings of the international consensus on periprosthetic joint infection.Bone Joint Lett J. 2013 Nov; 95-B: 1450-1452
- Sonication of explanted prosthetic components in bag for diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection is associated with risk of contamination.J Clin Microbiol. 2006 Feb; 44: 628-631
- Sonication of intramedullary nails: clinically-related infection and contamination.Open Orthop J. 2012; 6: 255-260
- Activated ClpP kills persisters and eradicates a chronic biofilm infection.Nature. 2013 Nov 21; 503: 365-370
- Persistent bacterial infections and persister cells.Nat Rev Microbiol. 2017 Aug; 15: 453-464
- Sonication and next-generation sequencing for clinical diagnosis of implant associated infection.in: Grant-in-Aid for Young Scientists B. Japan Society for the Promotion of Science (JSPS), 2017: 18
- Next generation sequencing for pathogen detection in periprosthetic joint infections.EFORT Open Rev. 2021 Apr 1; 6: 236-244
- Treatment of chronic orthopaedic infection.EFORT Open Rev. 2017 May 11; 2: 110-116
- Adherence and biofilm formation of Mycobacterium avium, Mycobacterium intracellulare and Mycobacterium abscessus to household plumbing materials.J Appl Microbiol. 2013 Sep; 115: 908-914
- Fungal biofilm resistance.Internet J Microbiol. 2012; 2012: 528521
- Improved diagnosis of prosthetic joint infection by culturing periprosthetic tissue specimens in blood culture bottles.mBio. 2016 Jan 5; 7e01776-15
- Culturing periprosthetic tissue in BacT/Alert® Virtuo blood culture system leads to improved and faster detection of prosthetic joint infections.BMC Infect Dis. 2019 Jul 10; 19607
- Prospective evaluation of criteria for microbiological diagnosis of prosthetic-joint infection at revision arthroplasty. The OSIRIS Collaborative Study Group.J Clin Microbiol. 1998 Oct; 36: 2932-2939
- Purulent flexor tenosynovitis: factors influencing the functional outcome.J Hand Surg Eur Vol. 2008 Jun; 33: 280-285
Published online: December 28, 2021
Accepted: November 12, 2021
Received in revised form: October 16, 2021
Received: July 14, 2021
☆Our institutional review board (2020024) approved this prospective cohort study.
© 2021 The Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.