Intra-articular administration of adipose tissue-derived stem cells (ADSC) is an alternative treatment option for knee osteoarthritis (OA) after conventional treatment fails; however, the clinical results related to the severity of OA grade and changes of cartilage volumes after the administration of ADSC is unknown. This study aimed to determine 1) clinical outcomes after the ADSC administration in knee OA with consideration of radiographic OA grades and 2) changes in cartilage volumes after ADSC administration.
This observational study included 86 knees from 51 patients who underwent intra-articular administration of cultured ADSC; 47 patients (80 knees) completed follow-up for 6 months (follow-up rate: 93%). The Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Scores (KOOS) were reported at baseline and 1, 3, and 6 months after the administration. The efficacy rate in the Outcome Measures in Arthritis Clinical Trials-Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OMERACT-OARSI) was evaluated using the KOOS. Cartilage volume of the knee joint was measured using quantitative 3-dimensional magnetic resonance imaging (3D-MRI) software at baseline and 6 months in 52 knees in 31 patients (follow-up rate: 61%).
All items on the KOOS except “sports/recreation” improved significantly at 6 months with more significance in knees with a Kellgren–Lawrence (KL) grade 2 or 3 compared with KL grade 4 knees. The OMERACT-OARSI responder at 6 months was significantly greater in knees with KL grade 2 or 3 (64%) than in knees with KL grade 4 (42%, p = 0.045). Cartilage volume changes varied among patients and were not related to the changes in KOOS after ADSC administration.
Intra-articular administration of ADSC in knee OA improved KOOS at 6 months. The effects were more significant in knees with KL grade 2 or 3 than with KL grade 4. Changes in KOOS were not related to change in cartilage volumes after ADSC administration.
Abbreviations:OA (osteoarthritis), ADSC (adipose tissue-derived stem cell), MSC (mesenchymal stem cell), KOOS (Knee injury and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score), MRI (magnetic resonance imaging), K-L (Kellgren–Lawrence), OMERACT-OARSI (Outcome Measures in Arthritis Clinical Trials-Osteoarthritis Research Society International)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Intra-articular mesenchymal stem cell therapy for the human joint: a systematic review.Am J Sports Med. 2018 Dec; 46: 3550-3563
- Efficacy of intra-articular platelet-rich plasma injections in knee osteoarthritis: a systematic review.Arthroscopy. 2016 Mar; 32: 495-505
- Intra-articular treatment of knee osteoarthritis: from anti-inflammatories to products of regenerative medicine.Physician Sportsmed. 2016; 44: 101-108
- Immunomodulatory and regenerative effects of mesenchymal stem cells and extracellular vesicles: therapeutic outlook for inflammatory and degenerative diseases.Front Immunol. 2020; 11: 591065
- Minimal criteria for defining multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells.The International Society for Cellular Therapy Position Statement. Cytotherapy. 2006; 8: 315-317
- Microvesicles from human adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells as a new protective strategy in osteoarthritic chondrocytes.Cell Physiol Biochem. 2018; 47: 11-25
- Comparison of human stem cells derived from various mesenchymal tissues: superiority of synovium as a cell source.Arthritis Rheum. 2005 Aug; 52: 2521-2529
- Impact of age on human adipose stem cells for bone tissue engineering.Cell Transplant. 2017 Sep; 26: 1496-1504
- The potential of adipose stem cells in regenerative medicine.Stem Cell Rev Rep. 2011 Jun; 7: 269-291
- Enhancement of individual differences in proliferation and differentiation potentials of aged human adipose-derived stem cells.Regen Ther. 2017 Jun; 6: 29-40
- Adipose tissue-derived stromal vascular fraction in regenerative medicine: a brief review on biology and translation.Stem Cell Res Ther. 2017 Jun 15; 8: 145
- Human adipose tissue is a source of multipotent stem cells.Mol Biol Cell. 2002 Dec; 13: 4279-4295
- Efficacy and safety of adult human bone marrow-derived, cultured, pooled, allogeneic mesenchymal stromal cells (Stempeucel(R)): preclinical and clinical trial in osteoarthritis of the knee joint.Arthritis Res Ther. 2016 Dec 20; 18: 301
- Intra-articular injection of mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee: a proof-of-concept clinical trial.Stem Cells. 2014 May; 32: 1254-1266
- Intra-articular injection of autologous adipose tissue-derived mesenchymal stem cells for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis: a phase IIb, randomized, placebo-controlled clinical trial.Stem Cells Transl Med. 2019 Jun; 8: 504-511
- Adipose mesenchymal stromal cell-based therapy for severe osteoarthritis of the knee: a phase I dose-escalation trial.Stem Cells Transl Med. 2016 Jul; 5: 847-856
- Comparative clinical outcomes after intra-articular injection with adipose-derived cultured stem cells or noncultured stromal vascular fraction for the treatment of knee osteoarthritis.Am J Sports Med. 2019 Sep; 47: 2577-2583
- Relationship between medial meniscus extrusion and cartilage measurements in the knee by fully automatic three-dimensional MRI analysis.BMC Muscoskel Disord. 2020 Nov 12; 21: 742
- Alterations in cartilage quantification before and after injections of mesenchymal stem cells into osteoarthritic knees.Science Rep. 2021 Jul 5; 11: 13832
- Classifications in brief: Kellgren-Lawrence classification of osteoarthritis.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2016 Aug; 474: 1886-1893
- Cross-cultural adaptation and validation of the Japanese knee injury and osteoarthritis outcome score (KOOS).J Orthop Sci. 2011 Sep; 16: 516-523
- OMERACT-OARSI initiative: osteoarthritis Research Society International set of responder criteria for osteoarthritis clinical trials revisited.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2004 May; 12: 389-399
- Interscan measurement error of knee cartilage thickness and projected cartilage area ratio at 9 regions and 45 subregions by fully automatic three-dimensional MRI analysis.Eur J Radiol. 2021 Jun; 139: 109700
- Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) of articular cartilage in knee osteoarthritis (OA): morphological assessment.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2006; 14: A46-A75
- Evaluation of the "Minimal Clinically Important Difference" (MCID) of the KOOS, KSS and SF-12 scores after open-wedge high tibial osteotomy.Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc. 2021 Mar; 29: 820-826
- A randomized, controlled study to evaluate the efficacy of intra-articular, autologous adipose tissue injections for the treatment of mild-to-moderate knee osteoarthritis compared to hyaluronic acid: a study protocol.BMC Musculoskelet Disord. 2018 Oct; 19: 383
- Mesenchymal stem cells - a promising strategy for treating knee osteoarthritis.Bone Joint Res. 2020 Oct; 9: 719-728
- What is the evidence for the clinical use of stem cell-based therapy in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the knee?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020 May; 478: 964-978
- Predictors of outcome after primary total joint replacement.J Arthroplasty. 2018 Feb; 33: 431-435
- Human adipose-derived mesenchymal stem cells for osteoarthritis: a pilot study with long-term follow-up and repeated injections.Regen Med. 2018 Apr; 13: 295-307
- Treatment of knee osteoarthritis with intra-articular injection of autologous adipose-derived mesenchymal progenitor cells: a prospective, randomized, double-blind, active-controlled, phase IIb clinical trial.Stem Cell Res Ther. 2019 May 21; 10: 143
- Infrapatellar fat pad-derived mesenchymal stem cell therapy for knee osteoarthritis.Knee. 2012 Dec; 19: 902-907
Accepted: December 21, 2021
Received in revised form: November 13, 2021
Received: August 30, 2021
© 2022 The Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.