MicroRNA is attracting attention as a therapeutic target for osteoarthritis. We focused on joint capsules and synovium in lumbar facet joint osteoarthritis. The purpose of this study was to identify microRNAs that are upregulated in lumbar facet joint capsules and synovium with osteoarthritis.
We included patients who underwent spinal fusion for degenerative lumbar spine diseases. We selected patients who had both early-stage and late-stage facet joint osteoarthritis in a single individual. We extracted joint capsule and synovium samples from these patients and isolated microRNAs. During the screening phase, we compared early-stage and late-stage osteoarthritis samples from the same individual. We identified microRNAs with >2-fold change in expression in 75% or more of patients with late-stage osteoarthritis using next generation sequencing. During the technical validation phase, the same samples were used for real-time polymerase chain reaction. We identified microRNAs with >2-fold change in expression in 62.5% or more of patients with late-stage osteoarthritis.
Of 40 patients who underwent spinal fusion, we selected eight patients with both early-stage and late-stage facet joint osteoarthritis. During the screening phase, we identified eight upregulated microRNAs out of 2274 microRNAs in late-stage OA. In late-stage OA, two microRNAs (miR-133a-5p and miR-144-3p) were upregulated in seven patients and six microRNAs (miR-133a-3p, miR-133b, miR-206, miR-20a-5p, miR-301a-3p, and miR-32-5p) were upregulated in six patients. During the technical validation phase, we found significant upregulation of miR-144-3p expression in late-stage osteoarthritis compared with early-stage osteoarthritis. Expression of the other microRNAs was not significantly different according to the paired-t test. However, miR-133a-3p, miR-133b, and miR-206 were upregulated >2-fold in 62.5% or more of patients with late-stage osteoarthritis.
Some of the microRNAs identified in this study might be involved in joint capsule degeneration or synovitis.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Characterization of degenerative human facet joints and facet joint capsular tissues.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2015 Dec; 23: 2242-2251
- Role of MicroRNA, LncRNA, and exosomes in the progression of osteoarthritis: a review of recent literature.Orthop Surg. 2020 Jun; 12: 708-716
- Lumbar facet joint osteoarthritis: a review.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2007 Oct; 37: 69-80
- Histological evaluation of lumbar spine changes in rats with collagen-induced arthritis.Yonago Acta Med. 2018 Mar; 61: 66-71
- Small silencing RNAs: an expanding universe.Nat Rev Genet. 2009 Feb; 10: 94-108
- Data integration reveals the potential biomarkers of circulating MicroRNAs in osteoarthritis.Diagnostics. 2021; 11
- Quantitative miRNA expression analysis: comparing microarrays with next-generation sequencing.RNA. 2009 Nov; 15: 2028-2034
- Identification of synovial fluid microRNA signature in knee osteoarthritis: differentiating early- and late-stage knee osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016 Sep; 24: 1577-1586
- Identification of microRNA-181a-5p and microRNA-4454 as mediators of facet cartilage degeneration.JCI Insight. 2016; 1e86820
- MR imaging and CT in osteoarthritis of the lumbar facet joints.Skeletal Radiol. 1999 Apr; 28: 215-219
- Human circulating miRNAs real-time qRT-PCR-based analysis: an overview of endogenous reference genes used for data normalization.Int J Mol Sci. 2019 Sep 5; : 20
- MicroRNAs: exploring new horizons in osteoarthritis.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2016 Apr; 24: 573-580
- Deep sequencing-based expression analysis shows major advances in robustness, resolution and inter-lab portability over five microarray platforms.Nucleic Acids Res. 2008 Dec; 36: e141
- Transforming growth factor beta1 enhances heme oxygenase 1 expression in human synovial fibroblasts by inhibiting microRNA 519b synthesis.PLoS One. 2017; 12e0176052
- microRNA-181a-5p antisense oligonucleotides attenuate osteoarthritis in facet and knee joints.Ann Rheum Dis. 2019 Jan; 78: 111-121
- HIF-1α:CRAT:miR-144-3p axis dysregulation promotes osteoarthritis chondrocyte apoptosis and VLCFA accumulation.Oncotarget. 2017 Sep 19; 8: 69351-69361
- Expression of miR-206 in human knee articular chondrocytes and effects of miR-206 on proliferation and apoptosis of articular chondrocytes.Am J Med Sci Med. 2018 Mar; 355: 240-246
- Role of miRNA and lncRNAs in organ fibrosis and aging.Biomed Pharmacother. 2021 Sep 1; 143112132
- MiR-144-3p enhances cardiac fibrosis after myocardial infarction by targeting PTEN.Front Cell Dev Biol. 2019; 7: 249
- MicroRNA-144-3p targets relaxin/insulin-like family peptide receptor 1 (RXFP1) expression in lung fibroblasts from patients with idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis.J Biol Chem. 2019 Mar 29; 294: 5008-5022
- Apelin enhances IL-1β expression in human synovial fibroblasts by inhibiting miR-144-3p through the PI3K and ERK pathways.Aging. 2020 May 18; 12: 9224-9239
- MicroRNAs in cardiomyocyte development.Wiley Interdiscip Rev Syst Biol Med. 2011; 3: 183-190
- Proceedings of the uehara memorial foundation. Innovative medicine: basic research and development. Cardiac reprogramming for heart repair.in: Nakao K. Minato N. Uemoto S. Innovative medicine: basic research and development. Tokyo. 2015: 253-264
- MiR-133a regulates collagen 1A1: potential role of miR-133a in myocardial fibrosis in angiotensin II-dependent hypertension.J Cell Physiol. 2012 Feb; 227: 850-856
- MicroRNA-206: the skeletal muscle-specific myomiR.Biochim Biophys Acta. 2008 Nov; 1779: 682-691
- Osteoarthritis year in review 2019: genetics, genomics and epigenetics.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2020 Mar; 28: 275-284
- Resistin upregulates chemokine production by fibroblast-like synoviocytes from patients with rheumatoid arthritis.Arthritis Res Ther. 2017 Dec 1; 19: 263
- Expression of retinoic acid receptor (RAR) α protein in the synovial membrane from patients with osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.Int J Biomed Sci: IJBS. 2007 Mar; 3: 46-49
Published online: February 11, 2023
Accepted: January 18, 2023
Received in revised form: November 16, 2022
Received: August 3, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 The Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.