Elderly patients with femoral neck fracture have high perioperative blood loss according to the trauma and hip arthroplasty surgery. Tranexamic acid is a fibrinolytic inhibitor and has been widely used in hip fracture patients to against perioperative anemia. The aim of the present meta-analysis was to evaluate the efficacy and safety of Tranexamic acid (TXA) in elderly patients with femoral neck fracture undergoing hip arthroplasty.
We performed search using Pubmed, EMBASE, Cochrane Reviews, and Web of Science databases to identify all relevant research studies published from inception to June 2022. Randomized controlled studies and high-quality cohort studies that reported the perioperative use of TXA in patients with femoral neck fractures treated with arthroplasty, and made a comparison with the control group were included. Meta-analysis was performed using Review Manager 5.3 to assess the efficacy and safety of TXA. Subgroup analysis was conducted to further investigate the impact caused by surgery types and administration routes on the efficacy and safety outcomes.
Five randomized controlled trials (RCTs) and eight cohort studies published from January 2015 to June 2022 were included in this meta-analysis. The results showed significant reductions in the rate of allogeneic blood transfusion, total blood loss (TBL) and postoperative hemoglobin (Hb) drop in the TXA group compared with the control group, while no significant difference was found in the intraoperative blood loss, postoperative drainage, hospital length of stay (LOS), re-admission rate, and wound complications between the two groups. The incidence of thromboembolic events and mortality showed no significant difference. Subgroup analysis indicated that surgery types and administration routes did not change the overall tendency.
The current evidence shows that both intravascular administration (IV) and topical administration of TXA can significantly decrease the perioperative transfusion rate and TBL without increasing the risk of thromboembolic complications in elderly patients with femoral neck fracture.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Epidemiology of hip fractures.Bone. 1996 Jan; 18: 57s-63s
- Hip fracture.Br Med J. 2006 Jul; 333: 27-30
- Management of acute hip fracture.N Engl J Med. 2017 Nov; 377: 2053-2062
- Meta-analysis of the association between preoperative anaemia and mortality after surgery.Br J Surg. 2015 Oct; 102: 1314-1324
- Myocardial injury and anaemia in patients undergoing surgery for fractured neck of femur: an observational study.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2019 Nov; 36: 884-886
- Blood transfusion rates and predictors following geriatric hip fracture surgery.Hip Int. 2021 Mar; 31: 272-279
- Transfusion thresholds and other strategies for guiding allogeneic red blood cell transfusion.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016 Oct; 10Cd002042
- The current place of tranexamic acid in the management of bleeding.Anaesthesia. 2015 Jan; 70: 50-53, e18
- The efficacy and safety of intravenous tranexamic acid in hip fracture surgery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Orthop Translat. 2019 Oct; 19: 1-11
- The PRISMA 2020 statement: an updated guideline for reporting systematic reviews.Br Med J. 2021 Mar; 372: n71
- The Cochrane Collaboration's tool for assessing risk of bias in randomised trials.Br Med J. 2011 Oct; 343: d5928
- Newcastle-Ottawa Scale: comparing reviewers' to authors' assessments.BMC Med Res Methodol. 2014 Apr; 14: 45
- Blood loss and transfusion rate compared among different dosing regimens of tranexamic acid administration in patients undergoing hip hemiarthroplasty for femoral neck fracture: a randomized controlled trial.Injury. 2021 Oct; 52: 2986-2990
- Tranexamic acid in non-elective primary total hip arthroplasty.Injury. 2021 Jun; 52: 1544-1548
- Topical tranexamic acid in elderly patients with femoral neck fractures treated with hemiarthroplasty: efficacy and safety? - a case-control study.BMC Muscoskel Disord. 2019 May; 20: 228
- Intra-articular tranexamic acid injection during the hip hemi-arthroplasty in elderly patients: a retrospective study.Geriatr Orthop Surg Rehabil. 2018; 9 (2151459318803851)
- Prevention of postoperative bleeding in hip fractures treated with prosthetic replacement: efficacy and safety of fibrin sealant and tranexamic acid. A randomised controlled clinical trial (TRANEXFER study).Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2019 May; 139: 597-604
- Efficacy of the combined administration of systemic and intra-articular tranexamic acid in total hip arthroplasty secondary to femoral neck fracture: a retrospective study.Adv Orthop. 2020; 20209130462
- The importance of early treatment with tranexamic acid in bleeding trauma patients: an exploratory analysis of the CRASH-2 randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2011 Mar; 377 (101.e1-2): 1096-1101
- Tranexamic acid usage in hip fracture surgery: a meta-analysis and meta-regression analysis of current practice.Arch Orthop Trauma Surg. 2021 Oct; 142: 2769-2789
- Single dose of tranexamic acid effectively reduces blood loss and transfusion rates in elderly patients undergoing surgery for hip fracture: a randomized controlled trial.Bone Joint Lett J. 2021 Mar; 103-b: 442-448
- The efficacy of intravenous tranexamic acid administration at induction in definitive hip fracture surgery: is there a role?.Injury. 2021 Aug; 52: 2361-2366
- Topical versus intravenous tranexamic acid as a blood conservation intervention for reduction of post-operative bleeding in hemiarthroplasty.Anesth Essays Res. 2014 Jan-Apr; 8: 48-53
- Application effect of case management mode combined with ERAS in elderly patients with hip fracture.Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2021; 20211175020
- Oral versus intravenous tranexamic acid in elderly patients with intertrochanteric fracture undergoing proximal femur intramedullary nailing: a prospective cohort study.J Orthop Translat. 2022 May; 34: 85-90
- Comparison of oral and intravenous tranexamic acid in total hip arthroplasty: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Arthroplasty. 2020 Apr; 2: 9
Published online: February 14, 2023
Accepted: January 16, 2023
Received in revised form: January 14, 2023
Received: September 2, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of The Japanese Orthopaedic Association.