This study evaluated the accuracy of the cup alignment angles and spatial cup positioning on computed tomography (CT) images in patients with osteoarthritis secondary to developmental dysplasia of the hip (DDH) who underwent total hip arthroplasty (THA) using a minimally invasive technique via an anterolateral approach in the supine position according to whether a robotic arm-assisted system or a CT-based navigation system was used.
We reviewed 60 robotic arm-assisted (RA)-THA cases and 174 navigation-assisted (NA)-THA cases. After propensity score matching, there were 52 hips in each group. Postoperative cup alignment angles and position were assessed by superimposition of a three-dimensional cup template onto the actual implanted cup using postoperative CT images with pelvic coordinates matching the preoperative planning.
The mean absolute error of the inclination angle and the anteversion angle between the preoperative planning and the postoperative measurement was significantly smaller in the RA-THA group (inclination, 1.1° ± 0.9; anteversion, 1.3° ± 1.0) than in the NA-THA group (inclination, 2.2° ± 1.5; anteversion, 3.3° ± 2.5). For acetabular cup positioning, the mean discrepancy between the preoperative planning and the postoperative measurement was 1.3 ± 1.3 mm on the transverse axis, 2.0 ± 2.0 mm on the longitudinal axis, and 1.3 ± 1.7 mm on the sagittal axis in the RA-THA group and 1.6 ± 1.4 mm, 2.6 ± 2.3 mm, and 1.8 ± 1.3 mm, respectively, in the NA-THA group. High precision of cup positioning was observed in both groups with no statistically significant difference.
Robotic arm-assisted THA using a minimally invasive technique via an anterolateral approach in the supine position allows accurate cup placement in patients with DDH.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Improvement of activities of daily living after total hip arthroplasty using a computed tomography-based navigation system.J Artif Organs. 2017 Jun; 20: 152-157
- Does CT-based navigation improve the long-term survival in ceramic-on-ceramic THA?.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2012 Nov; 470: 3054-3059
- Effect of acetabular component orientation on recurrent dislocation, pelvic osteolysis, polyethylene wear, and component migration.J Arthroplasty. 1998 Aug; 13: 530-534
- Influence of component positions on dislocation: computed tomographic evaluations in a consecutive series of total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2004 Feb; 19: 162-166
- Impingement in total hip arthroplasty a study of retrieved acetabular components.J Arthroplasty. 2005 Jun; 20: 427-435
- Effect of reduced diameter neck stem on incidence of radiographic cup loosening and revisions in Charnley low-frictional torque arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2009 Jan; 24: 10-14
- Cup alignment error model for total hip arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2005 Aug; 437: 132-137
- Total hip arthroplasty for adult hip dysplasia.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2012 Oct; 94: 1809-1821
- Anatomy of the dysplastic hip and consequences for total hip arthroplasty.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2007 Dec; 465: 40-45
- Efficacy of a computed tomography-based navigation system for placement of the acetabular component in total hip arthroplasty for developmental dysplasia of the hip.J Orthop Surg. 2017 Sep-Dec; 25
- Comparison of the accuracy of the cup position and orientation in total hip arthroplasty for osteoarthritis secondary to developmental dysplasia of the hip between the Mako robotic arm-assisted system and computed tomography-based navigation.Int Orthop. 2021 Jul; 45: 1719-1725
- Robotic-arm assisted THA can achieve precise cup positioning in developmental dysplasia of the hip.Bone Joint Res. 2021 Oct; 10: 629-638
- Accuracy of cup position following robot-assisted total hip arthroplasty may be associated with surgical approach and pelvic tilt.Sci Rep. 2021 Apr 7; 11: 7578
- Comparison of robotic-assisted and conventional acetabular cup placement in THA: a matched-pair controlled study.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2014 Jan; 472: 329-336
- Anterior approach for total hip arthroplasty: beyond the minimally invasive technique.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004; 86-A: 91-97
- Anterolateral mini-incision hip replacement surgery: a modified Watson-Jones approach.Orthop Relat Res. 2004 Dec; 429: 248-255
- Complications following direct anterior hip procedures: costs to both patients and surgeons.J Arthroplasty. 2015 Sep; 30: 98-101
- The John Chanley Award: risk factors for cup malpositioning: quality improvement through a joint registry at a tertiary hospital.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2011 Feb; 469: 319-329
- Total hip replacement in congenital dislocation and dysplasia of the hip.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 1979 Jan; 61: 15-23
- Anatomic hip range of motion after implantation during total hip arthroplasty as measured by a navigation system.J Arthroplasty. 2007 Oct; 22: 946-952
- Visual intraoperative estimation of cup and stem position is not reliable in minimally invasive hip arthroplasty.Acta Orthop. 2016 Jun; 87: 225-230
- Supine versus lateral position for accurate positioning of acetabular cup in total hip arthroplasty using the modified Watson-Jones approach: a randomized single-blind controlled trial.Orthop Traumatol Surg Res. 2019 Sep; 105: 915-922
- Pelvic positioning in the supine position leads to more consistent orientation of the acetabular component after total hip arthroplasty.Bone Joint Lett J. 2018 Oct; 100-B: 1280-1288
- Cup alignment in total hip arthroplasty using the muscle-sparing modified Watson-Jones approach—comparison between lateral and supine positions.Int Orthop. 2019 Nov; 43: 2477-2483
- Surgeons changing the approach for total hip arthroplasty from posterior to direct anterior with fluoroscopy should consider potential excessive cup anteversion and flexion implantation of the stem in their early experience.Int Orthop. 2016 Sep; 40: 1813-1819
- Patient obesity influences pelvic lift during cup insertion in total hip arthroplasty through a lateral transgluteal approach in supine position.J Arthroplasty. 2017 Sep; 32: 2762-2767
- Acetabular component positioning in total hip arthroplasty with and without a computer-assisted system: a prospective, randomized and controlled study.J Arthroplasty. 2014 Jan; 29: 167-171
- Minimum 5-year outcomes of robotic-assisted primary total hip arthroplasty with a nested comparison against manual primary total hip arthroplasty: a propensity score-matched study.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2020 Oct 15; 28: 847-856
Published online: February 15, 2023
Accepted: January 31, 2023
Received in revised form: December 2, 2022
Received: September 14, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 The Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.