To reduce the healthcare burden, the clinical results of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair and the cost of the implants used have recently been focused upon. This study compared implant cost, surgical time, short-term clinical results, and cuff repair integrity 2 years postoperatively between arthroscopic transosseous rotator cuff repair using lateral cortical augmentation (TOA) and arthroscopic transosseous-equivalent suture bridge (TOE).
This study included 220 patients with rotator cuff repairs performed by a single surgeon between December 2013 and December 2018. Overall, 70 TOA and 68 TOE cases met the inclusion criteria. The same surgeon performed the procedures at two different hospitals, and the techniques differed between the facilities. A total of 42 TOA patients were matched with 42 TOE patients. The patients were matched using a propensity score analysis by gender, age, and cuff tear size. The minimum follow-up period was 2 years. Implant cost and surgical time were compared between the two methods. The range of motion, clinical outcomes, and visual analog scale were evaluated. Magnetic resonance imaging was performed to examine cuff repair integrity 2 years postoperatively.
The follow-up rate was 81% (112/138 patients). Implant cost was significantly lower with TOA ($1,396 vs. $2,165; p < 0.001) than with TOE. The average surgical time in the TOA method was significantly shorter than that in the TOE method (82 vs. 109 min; p = 0.001). At a minimum 2-year follow-up, the mean active elevation, abduction, and clinical outcomes improved with both methods, although no improvements in external and internal rotations were observed with either method. There were no significant differences in the postoperative variables and retear rate (TOA, 12%; TOE, 19%; p = 0.548) between the two methods.
TOA and TOE achieved comparable clinical results; however, TOA was more cost-effective and had a shorter surgical time than TOE.
Level of evidence
Level Ⅲ, retrospective matched control study.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- The evolution of arthroscopic rotator cuff repair.Orthop J Sports Med. 2021 Dec 6; 9: 1-13
- Minimum five-year outcomes and clinical survivorship for arthroscopic transosseous-equivalent double-row rotator cuff repair.J Am Acad Orthop Surg. 2019 Dec 15; 27: e1093-e1101
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair with a knotless suture bridge technique: functional and radiological outcomes after a minimum follow-up of 5 years.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg. 2019 Jul; 35: 2003-2011
- Three-year functional outcome of transosseous-equivalent double-row vs. single-row repair of small and large rotator cuff tears: a double-blinded randomized controlled trial.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Oct; 29: 2015-2026
- Long-term results after arthroscopic transosseous rotator cuff repair.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2019 Apr; 28: 706-714
- Arthroscopic rotator cuff repair using a transosseous knotless anchor (ATOK).J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 March; 29: 527-533
- Arthroscopic, needle-based, transosseous rotator cuff repair.Arthrosc Tech. 2019 Dec 18; 9: e57-e63
- Intraoperative bone tunnel laceration affects integrity of arthroscopic transosseous rotator cuff repair with a tunneling device.Curr Orthop Pract. 2019 Jul; 30: 336-342
- All-suture transosseous repair for rotator cuff tear fixation using medical calcar fixation.Arthrosc Tech. 2015 Apr 20; 4: e169-e173
- Surface-holding repair : an original arthroscopic rotator cuff repair technique.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2014 May; 23: 620-627
- Comparison of occurrence of bone tunnel laceration, clinical results, and cuff repair integrity of transosseous arthroscopic rotator cuff repair with and without lateral cortical augmentation.Arthrosc Sport Med Rehabil. 2021 Jun 14; 3: e981-e988
- Comparison of implant cost and surgical time in arthroscopic transosseous and transosseous equivalent rotator cuff repair.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2016 Sep; 25: 1449-1456
- Biceps tendon and superior labrum injuries: decision making.Instr Course Lect. 2008; 57: 527-538
- A review of the Constant score: modifications and guidelines for its use.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2008 Mar-Apr; 17: 355-361
- Fatty degeneration of the muscles of the rotator cuff: assessment by computed tomography versus magnetic resonance imaging.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 1999 Nov-Dec; 8: 599-605
- Results of a second initial attempt at surgical repair repair of a failed rotator-cuff.J Bone Jt Surg Am. 1984 Apr; 66: 563-567
- Functional and structural outcome after arthroscopic full-thickness rotator cuff repair: single-row versus dual-row fixation.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg. 2005 Nov; 21: 1307-1316
- Retear patterns after arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: single-row versus suture bridge techinique.Am J Sports Med. 2010 Apr; 38: 664-671
- Research pearls: the significance of statistics and perils of pooling. Part 1: clinical versus statistical significance.Arthroscopy. 2017 Jun; 33: 1102-1112
- Anchorless arthroscopic transosseous and anchored arthroscopic transosseous equivalent rotator cuff repair show No differences in structural integrity or patient-reported outcomes in a matched cohort.Clin Orthop Relat Res. 2020 Jun; 478: 1295-1303
- The future of medical reimbursement for orthopedic surgery in Japan from the viewpoint of the health economy.J Orthop Sci. 2016 May; 21: 273-281
- Attitudes and awareness of suture anchor cost: a survey of shoulder surgeons performing rotator cuff repairs.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Mar; 29: 643-653
- Cost of arthroscopic rotator cuff repairs is primarily driven by procedure-level factors: a single-institution analysis of an ambulatory surgery center.Arthrosc J Arthrosc Relat Surg. 2021 Apr; 37: 1075-1083
- What is value in health care?.N Engl J Med. 2010 Dec 23; 363: 2477-2481
- Surgeon-directed cost variation in isolated rotator cuff repair.Orthop J Sport Med. 2016 Dec 16; 4: 1-5
- Understanding costs of care in the operating room.JAMA Surg. 2018 Apr 18; 153e176233
- Factors influencing operative time in arthroscopic rotator cuff repair: a comparison of knotless single-row vs. transosseous equivalent dual-row techniques.J Shoulder Elbow Surg. 2020 Jul; 29: S48-S52
- Outcomes following arthroscopic transosseous equivalent suture bridge double row rotator cuff repair: a prospective study and short-term results.Sicot J. 2016 Feb 15; : 1-7
- Biomechanical evaluation of transosseous rotator cuff repair: do anchors really matter?.Am J Sports Med. 2013 Feb; 41: 283-290
- Anchored transosseous-equivalent versus anchorless transosseous rotator cuff repair.Am J Sports Med. 2017 Aug; 45 (2364-237)
Published online: February 21, 2023
Accepted: February 4, 2023
Received in revised form: January 15, 2023
Received: November 2, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 Published by Elsevier B.V. on behalf of The Japanese Orthopaedic Association.