To investigate muscle volume changes in all body regions after total hip arthroplasty (THA) with dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA), and determine the positive effects of THA for systemic muscle atrophy in patients with hip osteoarthritis (HOA).
In total, 116 patients with a mean age of 65.8 (45–84) years who had undergone THA for unilateral HOA were included in this study. DEXA scans were performed serially at 2 weeks, 3, 6, 12, 18, and 24 months after THA. The normalized height squared muscle volume (NMV) and the change ratio of NMV (ΔNMV) were calculated independently for operated lower extremity (LE), non-operated LE, both upper extremities (UEs), and trunk. Skeletal mass index, which is a sum of NMV of both LEs and UEs, was evaluated at 2 weeks and 24 months after THA to identify systemic muscle atrophy equivalent to the diagnostic criteria of sarcopenia.
ΔNMVs in non-operated LE, both UEs, and trunk increased gradually up to 6, 12, and 24 months after THA, although that in operated LE did not increase during a 24-month period. The ΔNMVs in operated LE, non-operated LE, both UEs, and trunk at 24 months after THA were +0.6%, +7.1%, +4.0%, and +4.0%, respectively (P = 0.993, P < 0.001, P < 0.001, P = 0.012). The proportion of systemic muscle atrophy significantly decreased from 2 weeks (38%) to 24 months (23%) after THA (P = 0.022).
THA can potentially have secondary positive effects for systemic muscle atrophy exception of operated LE.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Hip disability and osteoarthritis outcome score (HOOS)--validity and responsiveness in total hip replacement.BMC Muscoskel Disord. 2003 May; 4: 10
- A 12-item short form of the Hip disability and Osteoarthritis Outcome Score (HOOS-12): tests of reliability, validity and responsiveness.Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2019 May; 27: 754-761
- Prevalence of sarcopenia in Germany and the corresponding effect of osteoarthritis in females 70 years and older living in the community: results of the FORMoSA study.Clin Interv Aging. 2015 Oct; 10: 1565-1573
- Sarcopenia: origins and clinical relevance.J Nutr. 1997 May; 127 (990–1S)
- Sarcopenia. Lancet. 2019 Jun; 393: 2636-2646
- The impact of sarcopenic obesity on knee and hip osteoarthritis: a scoping review.BMC Muscoskel Disord. 2018 Jul; 19: 271
- Prospective study of self-reported pain, radiographic osteoarthritis, sarcopenia progression, and falls risk in community-dwelling older adults.Arthritis Care Res. 2012 Jan; 64: 30-37
- Abductor tendons and muscles assessed at MR imaging after total hip arthroplasty in asymptomatic and symptomatic patients.Radiology. 2005 Jun; 235: 969-976
- Persisting muscle atrophy two years after replacement of the hip.J Bone Joint Surg Br. 2009 May; 91: 583-588
- Magnetic resonance imaging features of preserved vs divided and repaired piriformis during total hip arthroplasty: a randomized controlled trial.J Arthroplasty. 2012 Apr; 27: 551-558
- Volume increases of the gluteus maximus, gluteus medius, and thigh muscles after hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2016 Apr; 31 (912.e1): 906
- Muscle damage after total hip arthroplasty through the direct anterior approach for developmental dysplasia of the hip.J Arthroplasty. 2017 Aug; 32: 2466-2473
- Comparison of hip muscle volume between fit-and-fill stem and tapered-wedge stem after total hip arthroplasty using the anterolateral approach.J Orthop Sci. 2017 Nov; 22: 1102-1106
- Health-related quality of life in total hip and total knee arthroplasty. A qualitative and systematic review of the literature.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2004 May; 86: 963-974
- Three-year follow-up study of physical activity, physical function, and health-related quality of life after total hip arthroplasty.J Arthroplasty. 2020 Jan; 35: 198-203
- Anatomical segmentation in humans and the prediction of segmental masses from intra-segmental anthropometry.Hum Biol. 1986 Oct; 58: 771-782
- Evaluation of Lunar Prodigy dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry for assessing body composition in healthy persons and patients by comparison with the criterion 4-component model.Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 May; 83: 1047-1054
- Measurement precision of body composition variables using the lunar DPX-L densitometer.J Clin Densitom. 2000 Spring; 3: 35-41
- European working group on sarcopenia in older people. Sarcopenia: European consensus on definition and diagnosis: report of the European working group on sarcopenia in older people.Age Ageing. 2010 Jul; 39: 412-423
- Sarcopenia in asia: consensus report of the asian working group for sarcopenia.J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2014 Feb; 15: 95-101
- The Japanese Orthopaedic Association : evaluation chart of hip joint functions.J Jpn Orthop Assoc. 1995; 69: 864-867
- Japanese orthopaedic association hip disease evaluation questionnaire (JHEQ): a patient-based evaluation tool for hip-joint disease. The subcommittee on hip disease evaluation of the clinical outcome committee of the Japanese orthopaedic association.J Orthop Sci. 2012 Jan; 17: 25-38
- Reliability and validity of the Japanese Orthopaedic Association hip disease evaluation questionnaire (JHEQ) for patients with hip disease.J Orthop Sci. 2013 Sep; 18: 782-787
- Investigation of the freely available easy-to-use software ‘EZR' for medical statistics.Bone Marrow Transplant. 2013 Mar; 48: 452-458
- Imaging of sarcopenia: old evidence and new insights.Eur Radiol. 2020 Apr; 30: 2199-2208
- Total-body skeletal muscle mass: estimation by a new dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry method.Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Aug; 76: 378-383
- Body composition and clinical symptoms in patients with hip or knee osteoarthritis: results from the KHOALA cohort.Semin Arthritis Rheum. 2018 Jun; 47: 797-804
- Age and waiting time as predictors of outcome after total hip replacement for osteoarthritis.Rheumatology. 2002 Nov; 41: 1261-1267
- Return to work after primary total hip arthroplasty: a nationwide cohort study.Acta Orthop. 2019 Jun; 90: 209-213
- Age explains limited hip extension recovery at one year from total hip arthroplasty.Clin Biomech. 2017 Oct; 48: 35-41
Published online: March 10, 2023
Accepted: February 22, 2023
Received in revised form: February 21, 2023
Received: October 24, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 The Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.