I have read a manuscript entitled “Low serum albumin concentration is associated with increased risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal patients with rheumatoid arthritis (RA)” written by Nagayama Y et al. [
] with great interest. In this case–control study, authors evaluated the association between the osteoporosis criteria and the serum albumin level (SA), and confirmed a significant correlation between the two, and determined a cut-off index (COI) with 4.2 g/dl. It was a surprising result because it would be possible to evaluate SA as a candidate risk for incident bone fragility fractures (BFF).
- Nagayama Y.
- Ebina K.
- Tsuboi H.
- Hirao M.
- Hashimoto J.
- Yoshikawa H.
- et al.
Low serum albumin concentration is associated with increased risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
J Otrhop Sci. 2022 Nov; 27: 2383-2390
Abbreviations:RA (rheumatoid arthritis), BFF (bone fragility fracture), SA (sesum albumin level), BMD (bone mineral density), SDAI (simplified disease activity index), COI (cut-off index), HAQ-DI (health assessment questionnaire disability index), pr-BFF (prevalent bone fragility fracture), FN (femoral neck), OPD (anti-osteoporotic drug), ACPA (anti-citrullinated polypeptide antibodies), LS (lumbar spine), RF (rheumatoid factor), ROC (receiver operating characteristic), AUC (area-under-the-curve)
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of Orthopaedic Science
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Low serum albumin concentration is associated with increased risk of osteoporosis in postmenopausal patients with rheumatoid arthritis.J Otrhop Sci. 2022 Nov; 27: 2383-2390
- Rheumatoid arthritis in tight disease control is no longer risk of bone mineral density loss.Osteoporos Sarcopenia. 2020 Jun; 6: 75-81
- Impact of sustaining SDAI remission for preventing incident of bone fragility fracture in patient with rheumatoid arthritis.Ann Rheum Dis. 2022 Feb; 81: 296-299
- Association of hypoalbuminemia with osteoporosis: analysis of the national Health and nutrition examination survey.J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2016 Jun; 101: 2468-2474
Published online: March 11, 2023
Accepted: February 13, 2023
Received in revised form: February 13, 2023
Received: December 19, 2022
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
© 2023 The Japanese Orthopaedic Association. Published by Elsevier B.V. All rights reserved.